- Both Pre-Filing and Post-Filing (Debtor Education) Bankruptcy counseling is offered online, by phone, and face to face.
- Fee is $50/household for both Pre-Filing and Post-Filing Bankruptcy Counseling; however, we offer our Pre-Filing online counseling at a reduced rate of $35/household.
- Fee Waiver Policy: Households that are at or below 150% of the Federal Poverty Guidelines (issued by the US Dept of Health and Human Services) are eligible for a fee waiver and can request waiver from the Bankruptcy Coordinator (by calling 843.628.4261). Origin SC does not discriminate on any client’s ability to pay for services.
- Limited English proficient clients will receive additional assistance through bilingual staff members or, if necessary, other community organizations providing translation services.
- All Bankruptcy Counselors have credit counseling certifications from both the South Carolina Department of Consumer Affairs (SCDCA) and the National Foundation for Credit Counseling (NFCC).
- Participation in bankruptcy or other alternatives to bankruptcy (i.e. Debt Management Programs) may impact information reported on a consumer's credit report and could have negative impact on a creditworthiness decision by a potential creditor, landlord, or employer in the future. Origin SC does not report payment histories to the credit bureaus.
- Origin SC does not receive or provide payment for referrals to or from our agency.
- Origin SC is obligated to promptly provide a Certificate of Counseling/Debtor Education upon completion of counseling (see below for definition of counseling completion). Origin SC does not charge an additional fee to generate any Certificates of Counseling/Debtor Education.
- Origin SC may disclose client information to the Executive Office of United States Trustees (EOUST) in connection with United States Trustee's oversight of the agency, or during the investigation of complaints, during on-site visits, or during quality of service reviews..
- EOUST has reviewed Origin SC's credit counseling (Pre-Filing Bankruptcy) and Debtor Education (Post-Filing Bankruptcy) counseling services only. EOUST has not reviewed nor approved other counseling and/or education services provided by Origin SC.
- Certificates are only issued when counseling session has been fully completed.
- Pre-Filing Bankruptcy Counseling – All paperwork must be submitted and follow up counseling session is completed, which can be completed over the phone, online, or face to face).
- Post-Filing Counseling (Debtor Education) – All paperwork submitted and at least 70% accuracy on post-test.
Affirm Your Identity and Commit to Participate:
We ask you to affirm that you are the person identified above and commit to personally completing this process.
I certify that all the information provided on this page and all future information I provide to Family Services, Inc. DBA Origin SC throughout my time as a client is true, correct, complete, and offered in good faith. I understand that it is my personal responsibility as a client of Origin SC to participate in and complete the counseling session. I also certify that I will complete this counseling session myself I understand that knowingly making a false or fraudulent statement, misrepresenting my identity or not participating in my counseling session is a violation of the requirements for obtaining a certificate and may result in its revocation as well as the termination of my privileges as an Origin SC client.
By entering my initials below, I affirm my identity and my understanding of the policies outlined above.